Minutes of Meetings
BALALLAN SCHOOL, WEDNESDAY 2 SEPTEMBER 2015, 6.30PM
Present: Alasdair MacEachen (Chairman), John Randall, Martin Smith, John Groom, Alayne Barton, Angela Clare, Iain Mitchell, Kenny Macleod, Malcolm Burr, Ken Roddy Mackay, Calum John Mackay
- Welcome and Introduction
- Apologies: Bob Chambers, Donald Meek, Calum Macdonald, John Love, Jonathon Grant, Maureen Kerr, Iain Macdonald, Mike Townsend, Catriona Macleod, John Humphries, Chrisella Ross
- Minutes of last AGM (26 August 2014): Approved – proposed by John Randall; seconded by Martin Smith
- Matters arising:
- Chairman’s report: Alasdair MacEachen presented his report for the year ending March 2015 (attached). He said although the past year had been a time of change within the Trust nevertheless it had still been very successful in terms of delivering events and publications. However now that the Trust is distributing and marketing books in house, significant financial challenges remain. He thanked all those who contributed to the work of the Trust over the past year. The report was accepted as a fair summary of the year’s activities and a vote of thanks to the Chairman was recorded.
- Treasurer’s report: No Treasurer’s report was available but Alasdair MacEachen gave a summary of the abbreviated accounts supplied by the accountants. Improvements have been made in financial recording in the past year but there is still some work to do. The loss recorded during 2014-15 was partly due to the significant decrease in stock and a large grant being awarded in one financial year and paid out in the next. The Chairman stated that although the accounts seemed healthier there was still much work to be done to increase income. The draft accounts were approved – proposed by Malcolm Burr; seconded by Kenny Macleod.
- Proposed Change to Constitution: It was proposed that the following changes should be made to the constitution:
Clause 1, Title – the registered address should be changed from ‘Ravenspoint Centre, Kershader, South Lochs, Isle of Lewis’ to ‘Laxay Hall, Laxay, Isle of Lewis, HS2 9PJ’
Clause 5 (d) – ‘At all meetings of Trustees six Trustees will form a quorum’ should be changed to ‘At all meetings of Trustees four Trustees will form a quorum’
Clause 9, Bank Account – the current clause, ‘A Bank Account or Accounts shall be kept in the name of the Trust with such Bank as the Trustees may determine, and unless and until the Trustees shall otherwise resolve, such account or accounts shall be operated by the Treasurer and cheques and other Bank documents will be signed by the Treasurer and any one other member of the Trustees for the time being’ should be changed to: ‘A Bank Account or Accounts shall be kept in the name of the Trust with such Bank as the Trustees may determine, and unless and until the Trustees shall otherwise resolve, the keeping and operation of account or accounts shall be as determined by Trustees, with cheques requiring countersigned, including by at least one Trustee.’
Clause 11, Treasurer – the current clause, ‘The Treasurer shall keep correct accounts and books showing the financial affairs and intromissions of the Trust which shall be open for inspection at all times to the members of the Trust. The Treasurer, or such person as he or she appoints, shall receive all monies due to the Trust and shall pay the debts of the Trust as the Trustees determine. The Treasurer shall submit to the Annual General Meeting a statement of the accounts for the year ended 31st March in each year. The Statement of Accounts shall also be audited by a professional accountant appointed by the members of the Trust at each Annual General Meeting’ should be altered to: ‘The Trust shall keep correct accounts and books showing the financial affairs and intromissions of the Trust which shall be open for inspection at all times to the members of the Trust. Arrangements for handling monies received and expended are to be the responsibility of a nominated person as agreed by the Trustees, guided by the Treasurer. The Treasurer shall advise on procedures and shall submit to the Annual General Meeting a statement of the accounts for the year ended 31st March in each year. The Statement of Accounts shall also be examined by a professional accountant appointed by the members of the Trust at each Annual General Meeting.’
These changes were proposed by Iain Mitchell and seconded by Malcolm Burr.
- Procedures for Staff and Trustees: A paper was submitted (attached) by John Randall setting out roles and responsibilities for both staff and Trustees. It was agreed to adopt these procedures.
- Appointment of Auditor: The current auditor (Calum Macdonald of CIB Services) was reappointed.
- Election of Trustees: The following Trustees stood down in line with the constitution and were re-elected: Calum John Mackay, John Love and Malcolm Burr. Two Trustees stood down and did not seek re-election: John Randall and Bob Chambers. Bob Chambers will become a co-opted member instead and there are two vacancies on the board. A new Secretary and Vice-Chair will be sought at the next Trustees’ meeting.
- Any Other Business: There was a vote of thanks for the Chair.
The AGM closed at 19.30.